Last Updated: March 14, 2019
The www.elizabethkoch.com website, including all of its features and content (“Website”) is a service made available by Unlikely Collaborators, LLC d/b/a Unlikely Collaborators (“Unlikely Collaborators”).
What Information We Collect and Receive
In order for you to use our Website, we need to collect and process certain information, which depending on how you use the Website, may include:
• Information about your activity on and interaction with Unlikely Collaborators, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the type of device or browser you use to access the Website, and your actions on the Website;
• Information about the ways people visit and interact with our Website in the form of web traffic analytics. You can opt out of being included in Google Analytics [here]. For more information about our use of data analytics to protect and improve our Website, see Cookies and How We Utilize Them below; and
• Communications you send to us, such as when you request support, send us comments or questions, or report a problem to us.
We also collect and maintain aggregated, anonymized, or pseudonymized information to protect the safety and security of our Website, improve our Website, or comply with legal obligations.
You may decline to provide us with some or all of your information. However, this will limit your ability to use our Website.
Types of Cookies We Utilize
We use the following types of cookies and other technologies:
• Localization: Some cookies help us provide localized experiences, such as displaying the Website in the local language.
• Site Features and Services: Certain cookies provide greater functionality to the Website and help us deliver our products and services.
• Performance: We use performance cookies to help us route traffic between servers and understand how the Website is performing so we can provide users with the best experience possible.
• Analytics and Research: Cookies and other technologies also help us to understand, improve, and research features and content on the Website, such as by using Google Analytics, which you can opt out of [here].
Limiting or Blocking Cookies and Our Do Not Track Policy
Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies, which may depend on the type of cookie, and browsers can be set to reject browser cookies. However, blocking or deleting cookies may prevent you from using most of the Website.
Some browsers have “do not track” features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. If you block cookies, certain features on the Website may not work. If you block or reject cookies, not all of the tracking described here will stop.
Note that certain options you select are browser- and device-specific.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
To protect our Website;
To enable us to provide you with our Website, and to improve and promote our Website and services;
To contact you and customize your experience on the Website; and
To track and analyze use of the Website and our services so that we can improve how Unlikely Collaborators is performing and provide our users with the best experience possible.
European Union Users
European Union data protection law requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and retaining personal information from citizens or residents of the European Economic Area. Our lawful bases include:
• Consent: In certain cases, you have affirmatively provided us with your consent to collect your personal data for a specific purpose, such as providing your email address when you sign up for our newsletter.
• Contract: We may need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the Website, such as fulfilling subscriptions or transactions.
• Legal Obligations: Sometimes the law requires us to collect and use your data, such as applicable tax laws may require us to retain records of payments made through the Website.
• Legitimate Interests: This is a technical term that means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not harm your interests and rights, such as to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom, or interests. For example, we use identity, device, and location information to prevent fraud and abuse and to keep the Website secure, may also send you promotional communications about our Website and services subject to your right to opt out, analyze how users interact with our Website so we can understand better what elements do or do not work well, which allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all our users.
How We Share the Information We Collect
Information that May be Publicly Accessible
If you post User Content in Interactive Areas, other Users will be able to view such User Content, along with your name and email address that you provide in posting the User Content to the Interactive Areas. Do not post to Interactive Areas any information, including, without limitation, personal information, that you do not want to be publicly accessible.
Additionally, personal information in your Unlikely Collaborators Member profile is shared or otherwise viewable by other Unlikely Collaborators Members unless you specifically choose the option within your account for your profile to be anonymous. Bear in mind that if you wish to remain anonymous, you may not be able to take advantage of some of the functionality of the Website.
Information We Never Share Publicly
The following personal information is never publicly displayed or revealed to other Users (unless you post it in the Interactive Areas or share it in your public Unlikely Collaborators Member profile):
• Your name;
• The date you register for any services we provide through the Website, such as our newsletter/mailing list;
• Your email address, IP address, mailing address, or phone number;
• Any other identity verification information or documentation;
• Any payment information you provide; and
• Communications you send to us.
Information We Share with Trusted Third-Party Service Providers
We may share certain information pertaining to you with certain trusted third-party service providers to help us provide, improve, promote, or protect the Website, such as when we partner with payment processors or use services to help us manage our ads on other websites. When we share data with third-party services to help us deliver the Website and our services, we require that those service providers use your information only for the purposes we have authorized and protect your personal information at least to the same standards we do. We may also share information that is aggregated and anonymized in a way that it does not directly identify you.
Information We Share to Protect Unlikely Collaborators and Comply with the Law
We reserve the right to disclose information we collect from or about you when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect Unlikely Collaborators’ legal rights, property, or the safety of Unlikely Collaborators its users, or others. You hereby authorize us, to share or disclose your personal information, including, without limitation, any content, records, or electronic communications of any kind, when we determine, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of such information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against you if:
• You are interfering with the rights or property of Unlikely Collaborators or a third party;
• You are violating any applicable law, rule, or regulation;
• Necessary or required by any applicable law, rule, or regulation; and/or
• Requested by governmental authorities in the event of any investigation, act of terrorism, or instance of local, regional, or national emergency.
In the event that Unlikely Collaborators is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, or sells all or substantially all of its assets, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information and content we have collected from our users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used.
Links to Other Websites and Services
Cross-Border Data Transfers
Unlikely Collaborators is based in the United States so your information will be collected and processed in the United States, which has its own laws governing data protection and access to it, including by the government. If you reside outside of the United States, be advised that the rules that protect your personal information under United States federal, state, and local law may differ from those of your home country.
The privacy of children is of the utmost importance, and we are committed to complying with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). This Website does not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13. If we ever discover that we have inadvertently collected personal information from children under the age of 13, we will delete it as soon as possible. If you are a parent or legal guardian and believe that we have collected personal information from your child under the age of 13, please email us at [email protected], and we will take steps to delete such personal information as soon as possible.
Accessing Your Information
Users residing in certain countries, including citizens or residents of the European Economic Area, are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of such user’s personal information. Even after you request we delete your personal information, we may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We will send you email relating to your transactions with us. You may also elect to receive certain marketing email communications, in accordance with your preferences, and from which you may opt out at any time by adjusting your notification settings. We will also send you service-related announcements when and as necessary. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt in to any marketing communications we send.
We maintain a strict “no-spam” policy. We will not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses, identify the message as an advertisement in a reasonable way, include the physical address of our business, monitor our third-party email marketing services for compliance, honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly, and allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email. If you are having problems unsubscribing please contact us at [email protected] by forwarding the newsletter, if applicable, and including the word “Unsubscribe” in the subject line and we will use reasonable efforts to remove you within seven (7) business days. Please note that we will not process any unsubscribe requests submitted as direct replies to any newsletter.
We take security seriously, and the security of your personal data is important to us. We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to encrypt information as it travels over the Internet. No method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is completely secure, so we cannot guarantee its absolute security.